Union Presbyterian Church seeks a part-time (up to 10 hours/week) choir director to lead the adult choir during traditional Sunday morning worship services for nine months of the year ( Sept 1 – May 31). The commitment is for one weekly rehearsal (Wednesday night 1 hour) and one Sunday morning service per week, plus special services (such as Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Christmas Eve, etc.) as required.
Instrumental ability is desired but not required. A bachelor’s degree in music, education, or a related field is preferred. The ideal candidate will have at least three years’ experience in leading an adult choir, be familiar with traditional hymns and Presbyterian liturgy, and be willing to cooperate with the minister, organist, and other worship participants as part of an effective and enthusiastic music ministry team.
- Plan and lead choral anthems and other appropriate choral music for regular worship services, in coordination with the pastor and the Worship Committee
- Lead choir rehearsals and lead choir in worship services
- Lead choir in supporting and leading congregational music
- Provide choral music for regular Sunday worship services from September through May, plus special services on Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, and/or Good Friday.
- Rehearse and lead a children’s Sunday School choir on an occasional basis
- Schedule choir accompanists
- Maintain the music library
- Secure a substitute in case of absence
- Encouraged to participate in continuing education or professional development
- The choir director reports to the pastor, with their annual employment review conducted by the Administration Committee.
- 9 months (Sept 1 – May 31)
- Estimated 10 hours/week
- Salary: $6,240 /year ($16 /hour)
- 3 weeks paid vacation per year