Union Presbyterian Church seeks a part-time (up to 10 hours/week) choir director to lead the adult choir during traditional Sunday morning worship services for nine months of the year. The commitment is for one weekly rehearsal and one Sunday morning service per week, plus special services (such as Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Christmas Eve, etc.) as required. Instrumental ability is desired but not necessary. A bachelor’s degree in music, education, or a related field is preferred. The ideal candidate will have at least three years’ experience in leading an adult choir, be familiar with traditional hymns and Presbyterian church liturgy, and be willing to cooperate with the minister, organist, and other worship participants as part of an effective and enthusiastic music ministry team.
Start date: Fall 2018
- Lead the church choir in planning and providing appropriate choral music and leadership for congregational singing during services of worship
- Be accountable to the minister as head of staff
- Attend regular worship-planning meetings
- Hold rehearsals with and direct the choir, instructing on vocal techniques
- Rehearse with and lead a children’s Sunday School choir on an occasional basis
- Schedule choir accompanists throughout the choir season (September–May)
- Exhibit knowledge of Reformed theology and traditional Presbyterian liturgical practices
- Demonstrate a core strength in traditional sacred music, as well as competence in a variety of choral styles
- Select music that is appropriate to the liturgical calendar and worship themes as well as fitting to the abilities and strengths of the choir
- Maintain the music library
- Be responsible for securing a substitute in case of absence
- Able to work collaboratively with staff and volunteers to foster a supportive environment and positive worship experience
- Participate actively in the church’s mission to Love God, Love Others, and Serve the World
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to the search committee, c/o Kate Sonsteby, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position will remain open until filled. First review is June 15; please apply by June 15 to guarantee consideration.